1 October 2009

Peter and the Wolf - A childhood trauma

I remember the story of Peter and the Wolf well. It's quite an amazing combination of a children's story with orchestra music to create the mood around the characters in the story. I'm sure everyone knows Peter and the Wolf.

Apparently when I was very little, someone gave us a record of Peter and the Wolf for me to enjoy. Instead of enjoying it, I was terrified by the music. So terrified, in fact, that my parents had to put the record away up in the cupboard. Even that wasn't good enough for me. The cupboard was at the end of the hallway and my back was to it when i was sitting at the table. According to my parents, I would look over my shoulder at the cupboard and say "Bad oof get me" (translation: 'Bad Wolf get me'). In the end, I was not satisfied that I was safe from the big bad wolf until they showed me that they were carrying the record out of the house with the garbage to be collected.

In memory of that, and because it's just a good story, here is Peter and the Wolf:

1 comment:

Donna said...

I still love it and was sad when we had to throw it out.
Love, Mom